It's Serger Time

As an update from yesterday, I want to report that the beginner serger class at The Covered Bridge Quiltery was a tremendous success. I entered the class with trepidation, but at the end of the evening I left with confidence that I can repeat any and all of the samples made last night. Cathy Constantine was a very competent teacher. She provided individual help to each one of us. There were a variety of serger brands in the class, and Cathy could help explain the workings of each of them. An additional benefit was her use of the individual manuals during the help, as that gave each of the students confidence that we too could work with the manual. I've signed up for the intermediate course in two weeks. This was good value for the twenty-five dollars I paid for the course. Cathy also provided a set of written notes for each student. This will be essential reference material for me. If you want to check out Martha's website here is a link. This is my first successful link. Hurrah!
http://www.thequiltery.com/
Today we have bright sunshine, and cold temperatures. The wind chill brings the T to about -27 C. Now that is cold in my book. My husband wisely decided to relinquish his ski trip to Wentworth today.Instead we are enjoying the woodheat from our little Morso stove. It is a mini champion (my opinion). We have not had to sacrifice large amounts of space in our modestly sized living room.
I think you'll agree that is is on the small side.
This morning we made apple pie muffins. Now these are not my regular bran and yogurt very healthy muffins, but rather one of the tastiest treat muffins I've ever tasted. Maybe I should include the recipe here in case there is someone who would like to try them.

Apple Pie Muffins                  

Batter                                                               Topping

2 1/4 cup AP flour                                                          1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp baking soda                                                                       1/3 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt                                                                              1 tsp cinnamon
1 egg                                                                                      2 tbsp melted butte
  1 cup buttermilk                                                                                               
1/2 cup butter (melt                                                        Stir together                 
1 tsp vanilla                                                                Drizzle with butter          
1 1/2 cups brown sugar                                             Blend                               
2 cups diced apples                                                                                        
In large bowl,combine flour, soda, and salt. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg,buttermilk, butter and vanilla. Stir in brown sugar. Pour over flour mixture,sprinkle with apples, and stir until just combined. spoon into large cups.Sprinkle with topping. Bake at 375F for about 25 mins. (My oven cooks them in 22 mins on the convection/conventional bake setting. This makes 18 muffins for me. I'm not sure what the origin of the recipe, but  I've been using it for many years, with success. Thanks to the creator.
Tonight is round dancing. I don't know about venturing out in the cold night. We'll see. Tomorrow I go out to Thimbleberries Club at the Covered Bridge. This is a group of fun women. There is never a dull moment, and the conversation hums.  This month we are introducing our new format. We have evolved  and are becoming an open sewing day. something new will be the opportunity to learn two QAYG techniques. I'm usually up for learning something new. After the day, I'll post pics of my progress .I am starting with a quilt cot found in a magazine. I'd been looking at that little quilt for some time, and this seemed to be the perfect opportunity to give it a try.
I peeked at Bonnie Hunter's blog today. There are some very pretty quilt blocks in the new album.If you want to see them,  go to
http://quiltville.blogspot.ca/
I also checked out Karen's blog and there is yet another beautiful piece done with one of her patterns. This is where you can see it.   http://sewkaren-lycreated.blogspot.ca/ 
I think it is time for me to go and sew a block on Easy Street. I hope if there is anyone who finds their way to my site, they have a good visit, and a wonderful day      Lynn


 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts