"Oh What A Night"

 Tonight we are in the midst of our first real SNOWSTORM. It really is a big one, forecast to last three days and nights. It started through the nighttime hours and today we are over my knees ,deep in the white fluffy stuff. Fortunately, at this point, we still have power, and our grocery cupboard is well stocked so we are good for the present. There is something special about that first storm of the season. While the north wind drives the snow whirling around, building large drifts in some spots, and scouring the ground in others, there is also a kind of peace. Here we are inside, warm, wood piled beside the wood stove in case of power outages, lanterns prepared in case we need light later, and  a good book to read as we watch the snow piling up around us in the forest.

But until the power leaves us, all of our normal activities continue. The sewing machine hums, the iron is hot for pressing seams, my husband's  music plays in the background, and I am in my happy place, playing with fabric. Today I'm working on a couple of UFO's that are getting close to being a flimsy, one of them in progress since 2016. So often I am gung ho when starting off, but fall behind for one of a variety of reasons, and then the project gets shelved as I chase a new squirrel. We are approaching the finish of the lunar calendar for the year, and this is a time to finish things, whether it is cleaning out some corner of a space, repairing a relationship, or getting rid of excess stuff that many of us cling to for no nameable reason. I did a hunk of cleaning and organizing in my sewing area, and it did feel good.I'm going to post updates on the status of these projects, so i can keep myself on task.

This week I finished the second border on my SAHRR project. Anja, at AnjaQuilts, another Nova Scotia quilter, has given us the cue to use any block we wish, and to use only two colours. Thanks Anja.I'm not wanting this project to become overly large, so I searched my mind for a small block that might be fun to use , and decided on a 2 1/2 inch Bowtie block. I like this little block, and blue and green would work well with my centre block. Not having any skill set in EQ, i used my head and paper with pencil to figure out the process I would need. It was fun. Here it is.


I have no idea how this will all come together, but going with the flow for now seems to be my path. The piece presently is 12 1/2 "square  unfinished. I didn't count the neutral as a colour. I hope that stays within the framework of the guidelines.
This was week 5 of Edyta Starr's Birthday Block of the Week. I'm doing two, one with a blue colour way, and the second with my Thimbleberries/ Kansas Troubles scraps. I love making small blocks, and these are so much fun.



Now I'm off to try the linkup for this week. Trusting that you all will have a great weekend. Whatever you do, be kind.
Lynn



Comments

  1. I love how your bow ties go around your quilt. And yay for headwork and paper and pencil. Sometimes old school is so satisfying. I still am most comfortable with paper and pencil for thinking things through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think your round two works really well with your center block. But from my perspective, I didn't notice the bowtie design., Instead I saw a cluster of big white snowballs in your border. It must be because of your post's opening paragraph which described a snowstorm. BTW I also design old school, on graph paper, if needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they do look like snowballs. I really hadn't thought about them that way though. I guess I have been hepped up about the long snow that was forecast, and that we are receiving. Tomorrow we'll be on to another chapter. Thanks for stopping in.

      Delete
  3. Oh how sweet those little bowties. And yes, the white as being a neutral fits in with the guidelines. Nice work, Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and spreading awareness!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts