New Blog hop - Queen of the Gadgets

 





This week has been amazing for me. Every day I get to check out what these talented bloggers have to share about their favourite gadgets and how they use them. I tell you  right away, that I am not in their league , not for a minute. but I am smart enough to appreciate what they are sharing, and where it works, to add the new tips to my meagre repertoire. Queen of the Gadgets blog hop is hosted by Carol Swift from Just Let Me Quilt. She is a fearless quilter, and knows how to knock off a great party! So off we go to my sewing space, and let's look at what I use for my playing, right after you see the list of Gadget Queens who love to have you visit them. Just in case you haven't had a chance to visit everyone, here is the entire list once again.

Check out the Queens of Gadgets!


I will begin by saying that I don't really have a lot of what I would call gadgets, but I do have enough tools to complete basic procedures. And my favourites are, seam ripper, my three rulers, my two rotary cutters, my cutting board, my iron and wool pressing mat, and my two pair of scissors. 
When I was contemplating what to make to demonstrate these items, I also wanted to incorporate some pieces of fabric given to me by a friend. The pieces were from a multi stripe fabric that had been cut lengthwise between 6 and 9 inches. Some of the pieces were in excess of two metres long with the width of 6 to 9 inches. Back in 2010 I found a block pattern on the internet from Red Dawn, a site no longer active I guess, since I can't get it to show up. The block was Hidden Wells, and I printed and saved those instructions. Presently I can find images of quilts made with this block through Google search. Hoping that this does not infringe on any rights, I have scanned this original document and will include it here.

The instructions say to sew strips of varying widths together. I didn't need to do that  with the pieces of fabric that were given to me

There were 5 different prints in the piece. Using my 9.5" square ruler, I cut enough squares to get thirty completed blocks (60).  During the block construction I also used my 12.5" x 6.5" straight ruler for diagonal cuts.. In the next phase, my seam ripper,Peanut, got in on the action. I am definitely not a perfect quilter. There were lots of bias edges in this pattern, and I believe that a bit of spray starch would help, but I didn't have any, so we went naked into the stitching. It wasn't too bad. I was having lots of fun seeing what was emerging as the process continued.
 


First my parade of tools, or gadgets____

Square ruler, rotary cutter, small scissors, cutting board, and seam ripper. One extra bonus with this seam ripper is that one can use the yellow tip to gather up the threads remaining from the ripping process.


Last but not least, my trusty iron , and my pressing mat. This isn't an expensive iron, but it give good heat, and you can use steam if you wish. Of course, you can always get a small spray bottle at the dollar store if you want to have the ability to mist. I have one that does double duty as a means to tame my unruly hair for a quick morning getaway.


My project isn't 100% finished. I have the centre of the quilt top assembled, but now I will use some of the stripes in the pattern to make a narrow border, and then the binding. I haven't figured out a backing at this point. Two possible patterns emerged as I constructed the blocks. I chose to go with this one. It was really hard to get a picture that shows the true colours, but I am pleased with the experiment, and I am happy with my gadgets. I also have tri recs rulers and a couple of rulers that other quilters have given me when they didn't like them, but they are not ones I use all of the time. These items are.


Thanks Carol for hosting this blog hop. It made me stop and really look at what I use in my creating, and also opened up a host of other ideas, approaches that have never crossed my path.
I hope you all have enjoyed our sharing, and that you will have a wonderful weekend. We are waiting the impending hurricane Fiona . Fiona will be teaming up with a large low trough  to produce a post tropical cyclone across our precious province from Friday afternoon until Sunday. Another example of the power of nature in our lives. 
Stay safe  and Help when you can
Lynn
Ps, I'm posting early in case we lose power during the night
L



















Comments

  1. That is a very pretty quilt you made with your scraps and your gadgets! Thanks for sharing the pattern and the process!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. AT our next hop, i hope to have a bit more done on this project. It has not been a good few weeks for sewing

      Delete
  2. The quilt looks great! I have had this quilt on my list for awhile to make. I saved a tutorial for making this Hidden Wells quilt from Connie from Freemotion by the River. I love how she sews her blocks all around and then cuts them, making it even easier to do. She learned it from Mary Ellen Hopkins' book years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to find different ways to make things. This was indeed fun, and Ilearned a lot.

      Delete
  3. I really like your quilt and how it was made. Very pretty!
    Stay safe with the storm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brenda. The storm is over, and we now have our power restored. It was a quiet week at our house.

      Delete
  4. What a beauty of a quilt top. I love the technique of cutting each block individually instead of stitching around for the Hidden Wells blocks. You have so much more control and it turned out so beautiful. Great gadgets and a great post to read. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carla. After the storm, we were a week getting power. There has not been much sewing at this house since then. A week without power is not the greatest, but compared to what losses many experienced, it was a walk in the park.

      Delete
  5. I love making Hidden Wells quilts. They are such a fun way to combine fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And someday Joan, I may try the technique using strips from my many scrap bags. This was fun. Thanks for visiting with me.

      Delete
  6. Hidden Wells is on my bucket list of quilts to make! Yours looks great! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thanks so much for visiting. My late responses are related to storm related power outage.

      Delete
  7. Your quilt looks wonderful! Thanks for sharing how it is made with all your go-to gadgets/tools.

    ReplyDelete
  8. your quilt is gorgeous. thanks for sharing. how fun to have material like this. I have had some material given to me that I just knew what I was going to do with it. stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your quilt is so beautiful, Lynn! I love the design and the fabrics. I had no idea what a "Hidden Wells" quilt was, but now I do thanks to you. Your gadgets worked well for you in putting your quilt together. Thank you for hopping and sharing your gadgets with us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a pleasure to be part of this talented group. i always learn so much.

      Delete
  10. Great gadgets, and beautiful quilt. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Useful gadgets, and you whipped up a beautiful quilt! I hope you didn't lose power and you are all safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Although we lost power for a week Wendy, we had no real damage, lost a couple of large branches from one of the numerous maples here, but that is small. It did interrupt my sewing though.

      Delete
  12. Beautiful quilt made with great gadgets! Thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun way to use stripes! I may have to add this to my to-do list! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you decide to do this one Laura, I hope you will have as much fun as I have.

      Delete
  14. What a great way to use a stripe fabric!! Thank you! I hope you do not lose power and Fiona heads out to sea.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely finish. Like you, I do not have a lot of gadgets. I'm more of a minimalist compared to many and it sounds like you are too. Some of us just get it done with what we have and find alternative methods to avoid clutter or save a dime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it great though to see what others have found useful. One never knows when something of value to us may be discovered.

      Delete
  16. I hope you are safe, your top looks wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are safe Lianne. The storm left us without power for a week, bur other than losing a few branches from out big maple, we had no losses.

      Delete
  17. I love striped fabric, but I can't always find a way to use it. Your project is wonderful! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting Sharon. I am adding the borders now. Things stopped here due to the effects from Fiona.

      Delete
  18. Thanks so much for sharing your project and gadgets. I hope Fiona did not do you any damage.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiona is here and gone, leaving behind a lot of destruction. We were without power for a week, but our little spot was not damaged. We were indeed fortunate as many near us experienced significant loss of property.

      Delete
  19. Your quilt is lovely, and you shared some essential gadgets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth. It is always a pleasure to hop with this group.

      Delete
  20. That is just a gorgeous quilt! And love seeing the gadgets you shared! xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts