Time in a Bottle blog hop

 Hello everyone. It's Wednesday, and my opportunity to share with you all in Carol's Time in a Bottle blog hop. Visiting all the participants on Monday and Tuesday has been inspiring and fun. There are so many creative sparks flying around in this hop. Something I have especially liked about being a participant, is the opportunity to challenge myself during my play time.I've mentioned before that I am much better at starting than at finishing, but with the hops, I am actually getting some finishes too. Feels good!

Recently our Cumberland Quilt guild was working on a BOM from All People Quilt.The pattern is Midnight Blooms. I had two layer cakes from some time ago in my stash(I have never figured out how to make the most of them), so I thought I'd try them in this quilt along with whatever else I had that would work.The top is complete, and a couple of days ago I built a back for it. Now it is in the short lineup for quilting. There are only two tops ahead of it. Bonus for me there are a bunch of hourglass blocks making up the borders.


Yes both the inside and outside borders have hourglass blocks. I think there are 89 in the outside one. The layer cakes worked well for my quilt I think. They were called Portobello. I have a few bits left, and they may find their way into a log cabin quilt that I am itching to make as soon as my ufo pile gets smaller.This was a fun top to construct, and I learned some lessons along the way, so it is a win in my books. 

And then came my play day. Well because life is so busy at the moment, it wasn't a whole day of play, but about an evening instead. It went like this. A quilting friend gave me a small baggie with some of her leftover bits from a kids quilt she was making. I put the bag aside, but when I was sorting through some scraps, it turned up again. Perfect timing for me, it was this hop coming up. My decision to use these bits was influenced by my desire to build a piece of fabric, and use it in whatever emerged.And that is how my project was born.

First I took some of the small pieces and made some hourglass blocks. These are unfinished at 2 1/4 inches. Then I took the bigger pieces(strips of no more than 1 1/2 inches wide, and added them. From a gifted larger strip which I think may have been a backing, I pieced into a strip 21 inches long, and fused it with fusible fleece to give stability to a little bag I wanted to make. In your usual bag making process, I ended up with 2  x 10 inch rectangles with my cute little hourglass blocks in the centre, and all that was left to do was add a zipper and sew it all up. BTW, the only new component was the zipper.



And here is a sweet little bag
with hourglass blocks back and front. The bag is about 9 1/2" x 5 1/2" with a squared off bottom.
And of course because there were just a few bits left, what else but a pinnie to add to my collection of little gifts to give.
Before I leave you today, I wish you a Happy St Patrick's Day. May your troubles be few, your pleasures great, and the wind behind you. I had not quilted a piece for the celebration, so I made this runner. There is not pattern, just hearts I turned into themselves, Lots of love. And my good fortune to have a husband to hold it for me at a moment's notice

Hugs
Lynn

Comments

  1. For a reason unknown to me, the post did not publish when it was scheduled . My apologies friends. I did have my checker check, and we were trying to coordinate with mountain time, but something went south. Hope you will forgive me

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your bag and yeah for using up the bag of scraps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bag of scraps is a new reason to play, don't you find? Thanks for visiting with me.

      Delete
  3. All of your projects are beautiful, especially that quilt!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth. I think it is turning out well. This has been a fun hop

      Delete
  4. I love your Midnight Blooms quilt. Those colors are gorgeous. That little bag you whipped up is just the sweetest thing. What a great way to use those leftover blocks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Joan, both for your kind words and your visit.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Daryl, it has been fun hasn't it, this hop.

      Delete
  6. All great projects! The quilt is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your visit, and your kind comment

      Delete
  7. Thank you for sharing! I love your quilt. The combination of piecing and applique in the same project has always appealed to me. The scrappy bag is really fun too; great idea for gifts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon for visiting. I'm happy you like my projects

      Delete
  8. Your projects are all great, but that bag really stands out for me

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Rebecca, I love making some of these fun little things, and I'm glad you stopped in to visit .

      Delete
  9. All your projects are wonderful. I love the scrappy bag! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Karrin. Thanks for stopping by and for your kind words.

      Delete
  10. I love your version of this Kim Diehl quilt. I have the pattern in both the regular version of it and the one in the Quilt Sampler. I have always admired it. But your coloration is perfect. I really like how the main star stands out and the smaller Ohio stars in one color accent it. Great use of the layer cakes. Turned out fabulous.
    Thanks for posting on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your visit, and for the information about the pattern and that lovely version done in batiks. Every day is a great adventure.

      Delete
  11. Very cute projects. Love the quilt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carla. Your visit and kind words help my day bloom

      Delete
  12. your quilt is lovely and the bag and pinny look great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Lianne. I'm so happy you dropped in for a visit. Thanks for your kind comment.

      Delete
  13. Great projects. I love the quilt, the bag, and the pinnie! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have indeed had lots of fun and inspiration visiting the blogs during the hop. Thanks for dropping by to visit mine.

      Delete
  14. Lots of lovely hourglass blocks in your projects. Pretty bag and pinnie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen. I appreciate both the visit and the kind comment

      Delete
  15. Goodness! Look at all your projects. Love the brown colors. Great quilt. Found you via "Days Filled with Joy"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to my little corner of the quilting world. I'm so glad you stopped un for a visit. Come again. i love company.

      Delete
  16. So many pretty hourglass blocks! I love them as a border on your quilt. The bag and pinnie are sweet bonus projects, too! Thanks for sharing, Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Carol, and thanks for visiting with me. This has been a fun and inspiring hop.

      Delete
  17. I just love, love the quilt, it is gorgeous! Such lovely cozy colors.. and in the same way I love the bag - so pretty! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy for those kind words. Sewing is definitely one of my passions, and it is such a treat to be able to share it with others.

      Delete
  18. Beautiful projects! So many fun hourglass blocks. Love them all!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Leah. I'm so happy you came to visit.

      Delete
  19. Your quilt border is so timely. (sorry I couldn't resist). It is really great and what you did with those tiny scraps for that pouch and then the pinney is just amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't apologize. I think it is so funny. I really like punners. I do appreciate your visit and I love your play on words. Do come again

      Delete
  20. I LOVE your bag! The hourglass blocks really add to it! And the pincushion is very cute! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your visit and your comments Gail. It is fun being part of this great hop.

      Delete
  21. Great quilt, but I love your little bag and pinny the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy that you like my little bag and pinnie. some of my favourite things come from playing. Thanks for visiting with me.

      Delete
  22. The quilt is gorgeous and the bag and pinky are so cute. Thank you for sharing your fun projects

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol. I'm so glad you have visited, and I appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  23. Thanks Bea for your visit and your kind words.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely quilt! Great bag (very creative and pretty) and pin cushion! Neat runner! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Carol, I am so happy that you stopped by for a visit. Thanks for your kind words. Come again.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Your Midnight Blooms quilt shows off the hourglass blocks really well (including those in the Ohio Stars!) - it's a beautiful quilt. And your bag - with the small hourglasses is lovely as well. Amazing what we can do with some scraps!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks Raewyn. I really appreciate all the support, the visits, and kind words

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts