Polar Bear Plunge - My Turn

Polar Bear Plunge

It's the great Polar Bear Plunge blog hop, and today it is my turn to share with you. I'm certain that you have found some inspiration, and maybe a pattern or two during the hop. I know I have. Thanks to Joan over at Moosestash Quilting for hosting this fun event.


When I knew that I wanted to participate and share with you all, my mind was twirling looking for that "just right" project. Well, you can probably guess where that led. I am so easily distracted, that I spent hours thinking and reading, visiting my personal resources as well as surfing the web. Let me admit it was great fun, and I actually found a magazine I've been looking for in my cupboard. It wasn't there. At length, I decided to share some ideas and have some fun.

This was my first doodle thinking about where I might go with bears as the subject.


Then came this brave fellow. I think he is rather handsome, and quite brave. It's cold and snowy here in Nova Scotia, and this guy is wearing his Fitbit as he goes for a polar dip.


There is much to celebrate in this hop, bears, the colour blue, the iciness of winter, and the chance to play.
I am working on an applique pattern for a skating bear, very appropriate for our climate, and if he is finished by tomorrow evening I'll include him. He is to be the first of a family of skating and sledding bears. Sorry, he isn't quite ready.

Some time ago a friend gave me a book she no longer would find useful, and I love it. It is in the pages of this book that I found my special project for this blog post. The book, The Great American Log Cabin Quilt Book, written by Carol Anne Wien, was published in 1984. In Chapter 7 she discusses log cabins dancing to a new tune, and one of these is the hexagon. It is from this chapter my idea was born. My friend Micheline Ruest Mallet created the pattern and wrote the instructions for a successful finish, and I made the hexagon mat. I will post some pictures so you can see how I did mine. 

The written instructions are included with the pattern. You will find the pattern by clicking on the three words  GET THE PATTERNS. I've put it in bold letters between two of the pictures.

I gathered my supplies, and followed Micheline's instructions carefully


I pieced the batting. Seems like a good plan to use every bit of what we can.

I decided to remove my paper as soon as I finished the piecing. For foundation paper, I used doodle paper from one of the craft section of a Dollar store. My piece is pinned to the batting and backing, ready to quilt. I used a continuous stitch in the ditch that seemed to work well.


I have carefully pinned the backing out of harm's way so the batting can be trimmed. But I trimmed from the front of the piece.



Now that the batting has been successfully trimmed, the backing is ready for its treatment.



When the trimming is complete, I started folding the edges in as directed and used lots of pins. All of my small clips were in use, so pins did the job.
This leaves a smooth finish on the back of your hot pad.
Pinning and careful sewing so you are not sewing against the angles in the corners, makes a nice finish.
Ta DA all done. I hope you like my project.


I offer an apology for my lack of technical acumen, but if you read the directions in the attached pattern, all will hopefully become clear. Some of my pictures are out of sequence.

Today is the last day of this hop. I hope you have enjoyed your visit with each of us. Be kind to yourself, and lend a hand to others when you can. 
Lynn

Comments

  1. I love your hexagon mat, too cute! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your hexagon mat is awesome! Thanks for the pattern too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lynn, Lynn, Lynn...you are making my heart swoon today. I absolutely love you hexagon mat. The colors are just stunning. I wish I could doodle like you. It is something that has always escaped me. Thanks for playing in the Polar Bear Plunge hop!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That hexagon mat is beautiful in those blues and that polar bear in the middle is just too cute! Your polar bear doodles are so fun and would look great in any project. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a great hexagon mat. Love it! Thanks for sharing, Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your polar bear with the Fitbit! Love the hexagon mat too! Thanks so much for sharing1

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this is a great whay to highlight a fussy cut and perfect for the hop - bear dancing in his snow storm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adorable project for the Hop! That polar bear looks like he is having so much fun ice skating. Thanks for offering the pattern, too! :o))

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your project! The hexagon shape is an interesting twist for the Log Cabin. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh that is such a great project! Love the colors and the hexagon shape is fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Loved your doodle of the polar bear going for his plunge! What a lovely smile it gave me. Your project is amazing and also quite brilliant. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Lynn, this is adorable. Love the fabrics you chose.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your polar bear wearing the Fitbit, that's funny. Your hot pad is sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Lynne, That's a really great project. I love your picture of the fit-bit polar bear :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi
    Lynne. I’m in love with your little hot pad and the bear in the center. Thank you for sharing, the pattern and the name of a book I think I need to find. 😄

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I love it! Such a cute polar bear with attitude! xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts