Pieces of my Life

This morning I was sitting in a chair by the window reading a new book. This is one of my great pleasures. As I paused to rest my eyes, and watch the small happenings outdoors, I looked around the room and there sitting in groups were pieces of my life. The picture was typical of me, a number of collections, projects, none of which have been finished. There is a group of books ,the majority of which are written in French. I have read some of them, but not all. My goal had been to gain additional proficiency in my second language. As my eye scanned a bit to the right, there were the CD's I'd started listening to. This was my attempt at mastering some new songs for this tears summer jam sessions. This is not completed. Then there are the piles of quilt blocks strung over the sofa. This project was started almost nine years ago. Guess what, it is not completed. On the chair are the tools I use in card making. I want to continue making fairy cards. I'm still at the mermaid fairy. It just waits my action. On the resin table is the rug hooking project I started probably six years ago. Last night I went to hook with the old group from our library rug hooking days. Will I ever finish this? Move on over to the area going down to the basement. Aha, a collection of bits and pieces waiting to be put away with some other fabric bits.  This is not a bad news scenario. I love doing all of the things mentioned above. My problem is that I don't finish things in a timely manner.
This entry is continued on Friday March 29.  We have had a trip to the Dr. and then an emergency consult to a surgeon since my start yesterday. Thankfully the problem is contained, and the recovery will be slow but sure. This resulted from Omer's skiing accident nine days ago. Life has a way of changing all of our plans.
An interesting thing happened with me last night after we returned from the hospital. Although the hour was late, I  was infused with a burst of energy. This allowed me to sort out all of the black strings contained in my wool scraps for hooking, as well as fusing leaves for the cot quilt. The hooking project has been put away till next week when I will hopefully be able to meet with my old group again, for an evening of camaraderie and progress on the little project.
I can't believe that time is skitting by so fast. I have started this post twice, but with many interuptions, it is Easter Sunday, and I am still writing.
HAPPY EASTER to everyone. I'm sure there are many little ones, and some not so little ones who are enjoying chocolate today. We are enjoying leftover turkey today. Yesterday we gathered at the moores to share a meal. It feels so good to be in the company of those we love. The turkey was tender and ever so moist. Everything else was delicious too.  We have had such good results when we rub the exterior of the poultry with olive oil, then cover  it with a piece of muslin soaked in oil. Basting every half hour, and uncovering the bird about 30 mins, before the cooking is finished. Not one failure on record.




 No it wasn't this chook on our dinner table. I've always liked whimsical
 art, and this guy hangs outside the back door waiting to welcome you.
 This year my christmas cactus has decided to do a small bloom for Easter. I love this colour














 This african violet is providing us with additional colour at this time.
These plants require very little attention and give so much back to us for that small amount of care.
 I'm going to include several pieces of my life, at least the rug hooking part. I realized that I have never taken any photos of the hooked pieces in my life. They are for the most part, utilitarian and on the floor. There are a couple of small pieces that would not work for a floor mat, and perhaps I can add a sleeve and find a place to hang the so I can enjoy the finished piece on a regular basis. I'll be thinking abut all of this.
The above pic shows a mat I made to practice several techniques I'd read about in magazines. It's been on the floor for a number of years now, and is standing up well.

This little piece was a class to demonstrate various ways of shading flowers.
The pattern for this piece is "Washday" one by Deanne Fitzpatrick ,well known for her fibre art. It is a small piece but might look good on a small wall space at the cottage. I'll need to add a sleeve .
Before I finish for the day, I'll add a photo of my grandson Seamus and one of their dogs, Henry. They are both very sweet.


I will close the book for today
Lynn




Comments

  1. beautiful rugs .
    multitalented!!!
    we all have ufo
    i do not stress about them.
    looking at them like you do, always bring a smile because of the memories attached to them.
    hope that omer is ok?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts