Sweet on You Blog hop



Our friend Joan, over at MooseStash Quilting, is hosting this Sweet on You challenge that began on Monday, and it was off to a very sweet start. Lots of eye candy, that I really appreciated. At home here we are attempting to cut back on the extra sugars in our life, but the kind of sweets in this hop, well, "let them all roll". 

Our February weather has been unremarkable except for its unpredictability. Life in the Maritimes often can bring us three weather patterns between breakfast and supper, but I think this year tops the February's(weather) in my recent memory. This increases my joy when I see what all of our quilting friends are creating. 

Before I share my projects with you, I want to share somethings very close to our hearts, and a sample of what happens here in the back woods. If you want to move on, just scroll by and you will see my projects, but I love to share the beauties and sweet experiences we get from nature.


These gentle creatures amble around our yard, usually close to the wild apple trees, but in the summer they come for the Hostas, and in the fall their specialty is the tender grass that comes with the unseasonable fall days. We don't feed them, but they seem to be quite comfortable in their surroundings. We don't live in an habitated spot so I guess there is not much risk from humans.Then this year my husband was helping me figure a way to provide a daily breakfast for the little chickadees and nuthatches we seem to have in abundance. I wanted it to be squirrel proof, and you know that can be a difficult mission. However determination prevailed. At a thrift store he found a lipped metal plate, and with the help of some really old tupperware containers, our fabulous feeder was constructed. At the feed store I bought raw peanuts, niger seed, oiled sunflower seeds. At first, our crew was small, just the little ones we wanted to help, but wow, now we have a number of diners daily. Early morning we see the downy woodpeckers, then the Hairy woodpeckers. The chickadees and nuthatches visit all day .They just fly in and out. Recently a flock of Evening Grosbeaks have decided they like the menu so they come in droves. I forgot to mention that when my husband makes up the feast, he uses lard and peanuts only peanut butter so there is a source of fat for body heat. Every evening before dark, the dish comes in gets washed and scrubbed, ready for tomorrow. There are two small squirrels who get daily rations as well, but in a different spot.



They are not anxious to share.
Now on to my sweet projects. It took me some time to finish this one. Working with black backgrounds was not easy for my vision, but I love the finish. This was a mystery online last year with FWFS I believe. I used red thread for the quilting, and it worked quite well.




This little topper was a short Valentine Sew Along this year from Buttermilk Basin .




This one was a great way to play with and use up scraps. It is 28" x 28", so not too large for a small topper

And what I would be remiss if I didn't have a sweet pincushion to celebrate sweet times. Thanks Joan for allowing me to be part of your special hop.




I am posting a bit early, as I can't seem to figure out the time for preset publishing. It's 10:15 pm on Feb 21/23
Thanks for stopping by today. I love hearing from you. Lend a hand when you can. hugs
Lynn








Comments

  1. Great projects. Your quilt with the black background is stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to be able to enjoy the wildlife in your area. The winter photos look so serene. Two darling quilts and a fantastic pincushion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your table topper and the bird feeder w all those Evening Grosbeaks is fabulous. How do you keep the squirrels from that feeder?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful projects! We have a lot of wildlife around here too, and we really enjoy watching and appreciating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to live in your neck of the woods. What wonderful photos of your wildlife friends! I love your sweet projects as well. That mystery quilt is absolutely gorgeous and you all know I love scrap busters. Your sweets were a treat for the eyes today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures of the wildlife! Love your sweet projects!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your wildlife photos are amazing and how sweet to have them come feed so close to you. I would love that! Your quilts are beautiful and so is that cute pincushion. I agree about sewing on black. It is hard on the eyes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing your backwoods - how wonderful to see that every day! Sure beats noise and traffic! And your projects - all great!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All projects look wonderful. You really got a lot accomplished. The outdoors snow photos are good too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the outdoor photos! and your projects are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The pictures at the top are wonderful. Thanks for sharing them, and I love the color tones. That feeder is ingenious, and you could go broke feeding those birds. LOL The quilts are great, too. I really like the black background you used. Cute little pincushion. I made one this morning and lost it before I even got a picture. I hope it turns up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lot's of lovely projects Lynn. Thanks for taking us on a tour of your backyard :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your wildlife photos. It's so hard to get a photo when we have critters, so I am impressed with your great pictures! Your sweet projects are lovely and so full of love.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful projects. Those quilts are perfect and no calories. I love pincushions - yours is sweet, too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing your nature photos; looks like a great place to live! I enjoyed seeing your quilted projects.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely Projects and the fun pictures of the animals. It is fun to see them.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts