Picking up the Pieces

 A couple of months can pass so quickly and at the same time, so slowly . A long period of December and January were like that for me. First I contracted Influenza A, with RSV following right on the heels of the first infection. When your body is trying to deal with the trauma of the first virus, it's not in good shape to take on another battle. I am relieved and happy that these two have passed, and I have been spending some time in February, regaining my norm. Winter is still upon the earth here, so being at home seems to be the best place to me.

I'm back in the sewing room, playing catchup with some projects, and looking ahead with other plans. I decided to join with Joy Mac Donald and her group who want to find more orderliness and control in their homes. I will probably not keep up with the stream, but I've made a start and have completed some of the early suggestions to the group. By nature I am a dabbler, not a neatness or control person. Sometimes I will get on  a roll and things will be relatively tidy for a week or two, but then something new attracts my attention and off I go. I think Joy's approach of a little on an ongoing basis, may suit me better than a wholesale dig in and turf lots. You can read more about Joy's group at Days Filled With Joy - Quilting ~ Homemaking ~ Stitching. I am going to try to post here my progress over the next few months. At this point I have identified all of the zones in our home, and also those needing the greatest amount of attention.

There  is a little bit of secret sewing happening here. I have started planning for the annual Sew In on October 11, as part of the Nova Scotia Fibre Arts Festival, October 10-14, 2023. That is the day when 30 quilters gather to share fellowship, inspiration, and generally enjoy all the day has to offer. Our major sponsor, The Fabric Cupboard gives us some gift certificates for random draws, and there are a few other supporters who help make the day very special.

I've started a process to ensure that I work a bit each week on some of my long standing works in progress. Yesterday I made a block for my postage stamp quilt. It has been in the works for at least 4 years, but has never gained a lot of traction. Now I am hoping that by making one block a week, by the end of this year I will have a completed and quilted top. wish me luck,

A second project with a weekly assign is my Pinata quilt. I'm trying to make 8 slices of a pie block each week. When I reach 240 slices, I will start arranging them into blocks, and assembling the quilt. The block is really a spiders web block, and this is my first time making them. 

I had baskets of blue scraps overflowing, and wanted to get some of them used. I saw a block on Joy MaC Donald's blog, a wedding ring block. My decision right away was to adopt this block and create a Wedding Ring Blues quilt. My goal is to make two blocks a week, and eventually after I get 42 blocks, I can make a top.

Here are a couple of pictures of my postage stamp blocks


This little pile of triangles sitting in the crook of my machine are my leader and ender pieces. This group are destined to be a little basket when the pile grows a bit larger. I will post a pic when the time gets closer. As of today, I have 20 little HST blocks made from these. I think I need 24. Wow, I am closer than I realized. I hadn't counted them before this moment. Maybe the basket will be here before too long.

So many plans. I've signed up for the Feb blog hop  "Sew It Show It "hosted by Joan from Moosestash Quilting . Isn't this a wonderful hobby!


My day is Feb 22. I have a couple of sweet pieces to share that day.

Well I am now going to spend a happy hour reading my latest book from the local library.  Written by David Baldacci , it is titled The 6:20 Man I've read the first 14 chapters, and at this point most of the main characters have been introduced, and we are learning more about each of them. It is a small cast at present. The flurries outside are continuing, the wind chill has us at -12 C.

This morning I finished quilting a small scrap quilt on my Pfaff Power Quilter. I'm still not comfortable with the machine, but I want to get better, and the only way for me to get there is to keep trying. I have another small top that I will hopefully load tomorrow. sometimes I won't get to all of my "want tos" but I keep making the lists, and hopefully I will get through a few each day. This morning I made raspberry buttermilk muffins. They are delicious! I hope that over the next two days I can get some banana ones made as well.

I guess my time at the computer is done for now. This has been good therapy for me. I hope I keep at it as well. It is fun to share.

If you can be anything , be kind

Lynn







Comments

Popular Posts