The weekend is over, and it was a lot of fun. We celebrated our granddaughter's 23rd birthday with a brunch on the 12th. Just immediate family but when you realize that your kids have kids and their kids have kids, the numbers add up.there were 12 of us. The food was fabulous. That happens when your family has a long history of cooking and baking. My dad was a cook, as was his mom, and he was a baker as well. Suffice to say that these skills have been passed down through the generations. I remember helping out at my dad's bakery when I was young enough to need a box to stand on when I was scraping cookie sheets. They were great days too. 

My grandma Hunter was also a skilled seamstress. That talent continues too. Our eldest granddaughter is now starting to experiment with one of my sewing machines, and appears to be having fun. Bibs and repairs are her early experiments. As Baby Graham grows, I expect she will add new items to her repertoire. And boy can she cook. She made us individual traditional cheesecakes for the brunch. And the toppings were from scratch; ganache and salted caramel with fruit toppings and/or whipped cream, your choice. Just a sample from Saturday. 

I'm working on my row for Oct 8th. The quilting is finished, and tomorrow I hope to cut and start the binding. Tonight I am back at the cottage. I was home overnight, while one of our granddaughters hosted some of her friends for a continuation of the birthday celebration.While i was home my husband and I went out for some seafood at the Glooscap Restaurant in Parrsboro N.S. In addition the the delicious seafood, we enjoyed the scenic  drive to Parrsboro, which sits at the edge of the Bay of Fundy. It gets dark mush earlier these nights. Fall is here, and we will need to think ahead to prepare for winter's arrival. Hopefully it won't be here for some time.

I have a habit of starting many new projects and leaving man others incomplete. I'm going to try once again to stop starting, and start finishing. Wish me luck. I've tried this before but with limited success. I brought a couple of scrappy table runners back with me to quilt. Hopefully they will be uncomplicated finishes for me. I'll let you know.

It's 9 pm, and time for me to settle in to read a bit before bed. I'm just beginning a book by Ian Rankin. The Naming of the Dead. I have no idea where the book came from, but I found it in a box in my bunkhouse, so I thought I'd open the cover. The wind has diminished, so it should be an excellent night to sleep. Windy nights are tough for me as I find it difficult to settle but feel antsy and energized.

Before I leave for the night, I want to post a pic of my first grape tomato, ripened on the vine. There were 5 little plants that could not be used by those who purchased them, but rather than see them die, I planted them in a pot, and have been nurturing them this summer. I'm so happy that they survivrd, and that tonight I ate the first fruit from the vines. Happy days

Good night. Sending love to all
Lynn


Comments

Popular Posts