Wow, where did that time go?

It's a month since I last posted here. Not great for consistency, which is something I am trying to work on. Life keeps marching along, whether or not I keep up with the pace. Now many are finding the time long in this environment of staying at home, but for me it is much the same as other times , at least in that aspect. Around the globe today, decisions are being made about how we can safely move into a more normal,  normal. I hope that patience and safety will prevail. I don't mean wrap up in cotton and let the rest of the world go by, but this virus, as we have learned, is very serious. Of course, being a quilter, the idea of being wrapped in a cotton world of beautiful colour and prints doesn't sound too bad.




Some sewing has been happening here, as well as my move to the cottage. Spending the winters in the forest, and the summers at the ocean side is my routine. After the last hard freeze in the spring, I move sewing machine and the rest of my stuff into my little cottage, where I stay until the snow returns in the later fall.The ocean never disappoints in its beauty and its changing moods. The winds add texture and colour to the landscape. I never tire of this scene. I don't have deer or beaver visiting me here, but I have song sparrows, a groundhog, raccoons, and seals for visitors. Later in the season, the sandpipers ,two varieties will be here, and then in August the great Herons will be back.  During these months, I will walk and swim in the waters of the Northumberland Strait, watch the sky and water, and enjoy the sounds of summer.  Now on to my sewing.
My personal BOM for May is completed. This block is using two neutrals and a small print for the third. This month it is a very deep rasberry, verging on purple.

The decision has finally been made to postpone out Nova Scotia Fibre Arts Festival in October. We made the decision with much regret, but the timing is such that we don't know whether travel will be possible then. It is so much fun, and there are so many things to do during the festival but we will be back when it is safe to do so. When the group  made that decision, I decided to slow down on my secret sewing as I will have more time to make gifts for all of those quilters who will join me at our Fibre Arts Sew In. I love to meet quilters from many different provinces and states on that day.
We are waiting for the arrival of a new great grandchild in June. Emily and Rob are waiting to welcome a baby boy to their family. The decor for the nursery is outer space, so I wanted to develop a quilt to support this theme. Their colours are navy and yellow. I had to think about this one. what could I do? Well two designers came to my rescue. First I knew that I wanted to show off Dione Gardner-Stephens (The Clever Chameleon)  https://www.cleverchameleon.com.au/blog/ bear pattern. Dione had this for a free BOM a couple of years ago. I made the bears at that time, and I knew I could make one solitary bear for the quilt. Friendship stars are one of my favourite blocks, so I wanted a layout that would showcase them as well as the little bear. Just recently I started following Yvonne at Quilting Jetgirl  https://quiltingjetgirl.com/ .One of her recent posts provided a layout I knew would work perfectly. I finished the blocks for the top with four variable stars blocks. The fabric for the back is a piece printed with rocket ships and lots of colour on a navy background.
The top is a small crib size, 36 x36. I could have added borders, but for me the top looks perfect without.

There is a little rocket on his tummy, Dione offered three possibilities for this centre during the BOM. Although I can't see this in my picture, there are small stars in the navy pieces, and the yellow/gold, is a piece I bought the year my granddaughter was born, and now today it will provide cover for her first babe. The lighter blue is to remind us that there is blue sky in the future. Look ahead.
Another little interesting note. Marian Pena , https://www.seamstobesew.com/, will be hosting a row-a-long in September. This is an annual event, and this year the theme is what is to be found in our garden. With any luck, and the help of Marian and others, I may have a design ready for that event. My second granddaughter and I are collaborating on the project. I wanted a sea theme, and Meaghan sketched it for me. Since I am sorely lacking in pattern designing skills, I reached out to Dione, Marian, my daughter, and grandson  for direction. Everyone is willing to help you get on your feet with this project, and I definitely need help. Today I managed to create some PDF's to send along to Marian for her input. This experience has made me even more aware of the amount of work that goes into pattern creation. My hat  is tipped to those who make designs for quilter or embroidery fans . Lots of work.
A quick look back to Mother's Day. We have two great grandkids at present and here is their card for me this year. Angus is two and Piper 10 months.



And then a bouquet of locally grown tulips from Broad Fork Farms in Rive Hebert, a small local business.
Aren't the colours magnificent!. I was thrilled when our daughter brought these in a vase made by a local potter.
 That's the news, except for sharing this. Our daughter ,Bonnie , is an educator, and a fibre artist. She hooks pieces of art , and has been studying with Deanne Fitzpatrick. The most recent study to my knowledge is a colour study. Bonnie chose to hook a rare blue lobster. This will suit their cottage very well.

Well I guess that finishes today's post. I hope the approaching week brings tons of opportunity.
Goodnight
Lynn




Comments

  1. Your combination of the blue bear and the star border is terrific Lynn, I'm going to be proudly showing this to everyone!! And your daughter and her fibre art.... well, what can I say? That lobster piece is just amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts