We are Changed Forever

April 25, 2020. A week ago today events started to happen that would forever change our lives here in Nova Scotia. A man on a rampage shot and killed 22 people in their homes, and on the highway. He also set fire to a number of structures, some of them homes with people living in them at the time.We have never seen such horror before in our province, or in our country. During this past week, I have watched the people of Nova Scotia show their toughness, their ability to unite and support each other when the chips are down. We'll Rise Again ,we are strong, are the cries I hear from neighbours and friends. They are right. Our people will overcome the current state, and move on. Personally I have been overwhelmed with grief, but from The United Church of  Canada, I received a poem in my FB feed that is helping me to deal with the grief and profound sadness I am feeling. Small steps. one small task, one tiny bit of living which carries me to the next step. That is how I will proceed. It is all that I can do, and it helps.
As social distancing and movement restrictions continue, I am at home, sewing a bit most days, but I can't say I am hugely productive. This is the perfect time to dig out UFO's and get some done, but I am still starting new projects. I've decided to halt any new starts until I manage to get a couple of oldies off the table. I'm going to track myself on my blog to see how effective I am at lowering the number of half done projects. Today I am planning to cut the sashing for my embroidered cat blocks. This project has been in the works for a number of years. I'll also continue with my secret sewing as well, but the likelihood of our Sew In taking place in Oct. is slimmer than ever.

Here is my April block for my personal BOM. The block is 14 inches, and what changes each month is the colour.  I started this BOM last September, so this is the eighth block. The finished quilt will be a personal one for me.









I made some trees to add to the village house blocks I made last month. These houses and trees will be part of a gift quilt from friends who in normal times would be going off to a private quilting retreat the last weekend in April. I'm not sure when we will be able to get together to assemble it, but it will be fun when it happens.








All my Granny squares are completed, and I'm hoping that this weekend I will get the sashing cut for this project as well. I think I have decided on a dark sashing.I've auditioned all the prints where there is enough fabric to make them. Like many, I am sewing strictly out of my stash.




Buttermilk Basin offered a free spring sew a long.I have some left over Civil War prints, and this seemed like a chance to try a completely different project with them. Hence my little quilt top.
Perfect? No, but fun. It was difficult for me to use these colours with this subject, but I think it works .I may have more to say on that later.





These two were breakfast visitors one morning. about ten days ago. There was still some snow in the woods at that time, and the grass on our front lawn was starting to green. I'm sure it was a welcome treat for them, coming out of winter scarcity. These two (or at least I think it was the same two), have been here during the early winter and then later after a lot of the snow had disappeared, eating apples from our trees, or those which had fallen to the ground. They are always welcome here. Look in the background, out on the road. The crow you can see there has a partner, and the two of them visit our yard daily, surveying all that they see. That day, their tour was interrupted by the deer, so this crow decided to patrol the road just off our property until the deer left. It was definitely fun to watch the antics.
There have been so many opportunities for joining with other quilters online to participate in sew a longs or mysteries. I offer a huge thank you to all those who have put their backs into this and give all of us something to sing about. 
The sun has risen above the horizon, so it is time for me to get moving. I try to be quiet during the early hours so my husband can get some rest. I wake far too early for him. One more thing before I go

I'm adding this piece my daughter is creating. Her artistry amazes me. Never content with mediocre in life, it extends to her work as a hobby artist. Her dad and I love to watch her creations as they develop. This piece I'll re post after it is complete. She sees, she photographs and then sketches. After drawing her sketch our on the linen backing, she begins to gather her wools. As I enlarged the picture, I saw the Rugosa roses up close to the house. Those are so right for our area. This is so beautiful. She is working on the trees now
I guess that is it for this morning. I wish everyone a wonderful day. Hugs
Lynn




Comments

  1. All the way over here, we were shocked to see the shooting unfold near you. Virtual hugs to you, and I hope expressing your grief in words has helped a little. Your deer visitors are amazing, only pipped at the post by your daughter's phenomenal stitching! To think she is working this from a photo! Thanks for linking up with the Chameleon's Colour & Inspiration party.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts