Cats and Houses

It's been a quiet Sunday morning here. During the Covid-19 pandemic, we have seen some acts of generosity and of community caring, and we have seen some behaviours which I believe are shameful.But after all we are humans, and as such are flawed. I''m enjoying the online N.S Kitchen party posts of facebook. There is no lack of talent in this little province. This morning I watched a short video of a  woman playing the spoons, and truly enjoying herself. I think it was her way of celebrating her birthday this year. I loved her performance. The sun is shining brightly today, always a good sign of spring(we hope).
Our lives have been changed in very basic ways with the pandemic. Humans are in general, social beings, and we gather i groups regularly. That is not possible now. As a quilter that one item hasn't bothered me overly, although I miss occasional get togethers with family and friends. I am quite used to being at home for fairly long periods. One thing I hadn't counted on happened to me a few days ago. I will preface this by saying one of my friends has nicknamed me "Miss Cheerio" . I am usually quite happy, and can find good things everywhere. That day, I felt "blah" and somewhat emotional, tearing up when i was reading the online CBC news. All day it was the same, and it made for a long day. By evening, as I wrestled with discovering the cause of these emotions, I realized that what I was experiencing was grief. We have lost so much, and fear sits on our shoulder waiting for us to falter so it can take over. We have in some cases lost our means to procure those basic necessities of life, like food , shelter, and medicine. for others the loss of freedom to go and come as one wishes weighs heavily. Others have lost loved ones as a result of this virus. Students who will graduate this year will not be able to get ready for the big day with the same freedom and big plans as they would in their "normal" world. So many losses! After I understood what was happening with me, I immediately knew what to do about it. In typical Nova Scotia fashion, I picked myself up, and got on with my life as it is now. I am so glad to have been raised in a community where hardship was known and understood. I was raised in Springhill ,a coal mining town back in the  fifties and early sixties. Life may not have been the Taj Mahal, but it was a good life where neighbours were kind to each other. Of course there were grumps then too, but  it was easy enough to accept their peculiarities, when the community in general was supportive. From my extended family during that time, I learned to make the most of every experience. From my dad I learned to look at everything with a critical eye. From the community I learned to help and to be kind. The fruits of some of these lessons became more evident when I became an adult, and I'm happy for them.
Today I am savouring the sun coming through my sewing room window. It is welcome, bringing with it warmer temperatures, and the promise of summer. This morning I sewed a couple of little appliqued cats, from a sew a long offered by Angie Padilla at Angie's Bits and pieces. She suggested black cats, but I have some prints I want to experiment with so we will vary a bit. Already I se some adjustments that will be made, but we"ll carry on later today. When I squint a bit, they look pretty good.
These guys are a little goofy looking, but still sweet.I'm going to change the eyes and nose colour next. I've added a layer of batting to the applique back It's a bit like a Trapunto effect when the extra batting layer is there
I've been working some at my secret sewing as well. Can't say much about it, but it is progressing at a reasonable pace. Since it is April, I will get my next block made for my personal BOM for 2020.
Buttermilk Basin has another block out for me to make . Easter eggs. I'm not sure how an easter egg will come across in Civil War prints, but I guess I will soon learn. I do have an idea.
Here are some little houses to add to my village. I made 7 yesterday, adding to my dozen from the other day


We are in a large global village these days. Let's be kind to each other.
Lynn

Comments

Popular Posts