I guess it has been quite a dry spell for me and my blogging. That doesn't mean I haven't been sewing, because I've done quite a bit of that, and had lots of fun. During the summer and early fall my beach activities eat up almost all of my time. I love the ocean, and living beside it for 5 months a year seems like the perfect thing to do. Now I'm back living in the Cumberland County forest for the winter and early spring months. Today is particularly exciting as the winter solstice is here, and we will start adding a few minutes of daylight each day. Nature has incredible dependability in that way. It keeps me in tune.
Later today or tomorrow, I'm going to post some pics of work that I've done over the past 6 months. It won't be complete, because a number of projects have moved to their new homes. I'm looking at 2020 as a year to finish up some projects that have been in line far too long, a couple of them going back to 2003. Scandalous, I agree, but Dione Gardner-Stephens from The Clever Chameleon quilt blog has issued forth a challenge started by Quilting Gail from the Quilting Gail blog to work on a PhD in 2020. PhD is projects half done, and I have lots of them. The goal is to finish anything we start in 2020, and to nominate 12 other unfinished projects t finish by end of 2020. I may not be 100% successful, but what's not to try?
Move forward to New Year's Eve. and here we sit waiting for 2020 to arrive with it's 35 days of possibility.
A bit of snow fell today. We have had a green winer to this point. I went for a swim at the Y today, and then visited with our Granddaughter and her family. The two little ones are so much fun to be around. No sewing was accomplished today.
I will post a few pictures tonight, and try to get a base secured from which to work for 2020.
Each year, Darlene D'Eon issues a BOW challenge to the NS. Online Quilters group and this week I've started putting the blocks from 2019 together.  I've made 12 large blocks consisting of four of the 8 1/2" weekly blocks. After laying them out, I decided that I want the quilt to be somewhat wider, so I'll make a few more smaller blocks, 16 I think. Then a simple border will finish it off. This is a scrap  quilt, but my scrap baskets are still full.

This project is for a couple who I know like blue, and I did want to make something for them so a Karen Neary pattern with New York Beauty blocks seemed just right.


Here it is done. I like how cheery it is.


This little quilt was made from some bright scraps given to me by Sandy, one of our guild members, and a talented quilter. It has found a new home with a friend of one of my granddaughters. Such a sweet little quilt for Kirsten's new baby.
When I was first interested in quilting, my good friend Marilyn showed me a quilt made by her grandmother. It was a single star block and measured 72 x 72. I believe the blocks were 9 inch ones. Now I loved the quilt, but I prefer to work with smaller blocks, and with my love for scraps, this past September I decided to redraft the pattern to make the blocks 12" or a bit better. I decided that I would make a block a month(the same block), and next fall, hopefully to have enough for a quilt. This is a picture of one of my blocks. I'll soon start my January one. My own BOM.


These are my blocks from the Club 100 club, an initiative from Jackie at The Fabric Cupboard. In August each year, Jackie and her invaluable helper Cindy, start up the 100 club and those who line up and participate go to the shop every month to pick up their small monthly kits, and away we go making a lap size quilt. The fee is only $25.00, and it is fun to meet old and new friends while we wait for the doors to open and get our number for the current year. This year I chose a black background, because I've never used black in that way until now. I know I'm going to like it, but I caution myself and others whose vision ,like mine, is not perfect, sew these bits up in daylight. The seams are so much more accurate then. 

This little quilt was made by me for one of our twin great grandchildren. They were born in June, and Piper, can be wrapped in hers now. There is no pattern, but I like churn dash and pinwheel blocks, so this combination seemed right.Sadly our little Finn was with our family only four months. He was a brave little guy, sweet and happy, but his body couldn't overcome all of the health challenges life put in front of him.We love him and he will always be in our hearts

This is Finn's quilt, and his mum and dad will keep it as part of his memory box.
Well I think I've done enough for tonight. There are a few things I need to learn if I want to participate in the February Red and White blog hop. One step at a time.
Goodnight
Lynn









Comments

Popular Posts