To new beginnings

Winter is giving way to spring. Not that winter is going to go quietly. There will yet be days when the wind will howl from the north, bringing sleet or snow, covering the earth with a blanket of warmth ,readying the ground for the rebirth that spring brings. Today that wind blew from the southeast, strong but without the bite that the north wind brings . The sugar maples are giving of their sap right now, but a few days where the night time temperatures do not fall below freezing will cause this to cease. And so another harvest will be completed.
Today I actually sat at my sewing machine and sewed for a bit. Of course, Lucy kept interfering with her need for ongoing attention.I am participating in a weekly quilt block challenge organized by Darlene D'Eon from A Needle Pulling Thread Quilt Shop in Digby N.S. The challenge block is a 6 1/2 inch sawtooth star. Currently we are at week 13. Before starting on this project I wanted to avoid , more than anything else, having yet one more set of blocks with no plan in mind. As I looked over the many bits of scrap fabrics lovingly stashed in my sewing room, it was obvious I could have some fun with bright, happy children's prints and other happy prints within the palette. So started the challenge blocks. As I sewed, a growing pile of small pieces reminded me that I needed to find a use for them as well. I don't want leftovers with no place to go.  As I measured some of the pieces, I saw that two inch squares were almost always available to me. From this evolved the idea for a sixteen patch block that could be a great alternate block for my star blocks. My calculations suggest that a comfortable child's quilt can be made from 36 star blocks and 36 sixteen patch blocks. The borders will be decided as the quilt develops.I think this is a fabulous idea for a scrappy creation. Today I started sewing together the sixteen patch blocks. These  really helped make a dent in my happy pallet scraps. Soon I'll post a picture here and the directions for the two blocks I'm using.
Tomorrow is April 1st, All Fools Day. I wonder what tricks will be out there?
I've recently begun reading books written by Debbie Macomber, an author from Port Orchard,Washington. At first I was attracted to her novels because of her relationship to knitting. I know that seems strange, but although I am not a skilled knotter, my mother knit as long as I can remember until her last few years when the project even though small, were too much for her eyes, glaucoma had robbed her of so much vision.Now I find I am attracted to her characters, the familiarity of the setting, the every day likeness of the people and the kindness of the author. She writes a short letter to her readers at the beginning of of each novel, and she sounds like a friend. I hope others will make her acquaintance as well.
I'm calling it a day now. Goodnight
Lynn



Comments

Popular Posts