What a great weather day here on the Northumberland Strait. September28th, the temperature is 26.6 degrees C, and I just had a full tide swim.  I  am thankful for these golden opportunities.
Yesterday I was off to Riverview New Brunswick to participate in the PastTimers hook in. There were approximately 85 rug hookers there, coming from New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island. From ten a.m. until two p.m. the hall had the music of this many voices sharing a similar interest. There is much support and help in the company of hookers(mat makers). The host group provided a feast during the lunch hour, and many rug hookers brought some of their work for display during the day. On Monday, the 29th, the Truro Nova Scotia group will host a similar gathering. I learn more about the craft at these events, and I share the comraderie of other interested fibre craftspersons. Don't think this activity is  exclusive to women. There are men who bring their talent and skill to the mat.I am working on this mat presently. Unlike my quilting endeavors, where I have many UFO's, I work on one mat at a time. I have less time to devote to the mat, but it will be finished in time and find it's way to a floor in our house or perhaps in the home of a friend or family member.
I started this mat last winter,after  I finished my turkey platter mat. The pattern is an older one, a Lib Callaway pattern #189 Beatty Bird. The address printed on the burlap gives 109 Shady Knoll Lane, New Canaan, Ct. This mat pattern is 26" x 39". This pattern came to me by way of another rug hooker, a member of the Northport Loopers. I hope to finish it within another 12 months. Yesterday I saw such beautiful colours in the wool for sale from the vendor in attendance. Her name is Darlene, and she comes from New Glasgow, Nova Scotia. She and her husband are very gracious, and it is a pleasure to purchase their goods.
While I was there, I was fortunate to win a door prize. This pair of felted wool mittens was made locally by another crafter. They are so warm and comfy
I will wear these with joy this Maritime winter.
This afternoon I will work a bit on the mystery instructions for our Sew and Sews. The baby quilt I've been sewing is about ready for a binding. hurrah!
Lucy went home yesterday, but she is back today visiting. She posed a couple of days ago for this picture. Gosh but she is cute.
Tonight I must cut some wool strips for hooking tomorrow; another day, another adventure
Lynn


 .

Comments

Popular Posts