News, Sports, and local weather in my life

I had decided to try  to write more frequent blog entries, but here it is  Friday, and I'm a day short of the one week mark. This was a busy week, one like I'm sure each of us experiences from time to time. In fact for some of us this is the norm. During those years when we have a young family, are working both inside and outside the home, and have other flourishing relationships , busy is the "way of life".
This week n Tuesday I attended a demo at the Covered Bridge Quiltery, Cheryl, a Pfaff educator, was demoing lots of new notions, tools, and machines . she had a trunk show so you couls see the techniques. For me these events are valuable as the techniques may be completely new, and provide a stating point for new ideas in my quilting journey. I didn't take my camera along as  wasn't sure it would be acceptable in that venue.
A flying trip back to Nappan for our Cumberland Twirlers closing dinner and square dance Thanks to Claire Christie for sharing some of her photos of the evening.

 We had a pot luck with lots of great choices, Omer tasted some delicious brownies and some fresh pineapple. no one went home hungry
.This picture is of Faye and her husband Jerry. Faye is a patient teacher and caller. You would be hard pressed to find anyone with a more upbeat personality.









This pic is one of the current class. We were presented with our certificates for completing the 50 basic square dance moves or steps. While we mayhave done the stepps a couple of times or more, lots of practice is still needed before we can say that there is a degree of comfort with the dance situation. It is all fun though.


THE CLASS

SOFTBALL

The weather this week did not cooperate with the activities planned. Wednesday was set for the district softball playoffs. It was raining and cold early in the am. Imagine, those kids were scheduled to start playing at 9am. As it happened, the fields were too wet at that time and needed some work before they would be safe for play. These playoffs will determine who from this district will get to attend the regional playoffs. School sports are important for both the kids and the school community. Both boys and girls teams played that cold day. I was there especially because our grand daughter, Anna, is now in high school and able to participate in school athletics. Each team played three games during the day, and every participant deserved aa  medal for coping with the elements. The cold north wind from the bay,  was creating a crosswind to intimidate even the stoutest of spirits. Again I didn't have my camera, but thanks to Shaun whalen, I have a few pictures to record parts of the day. Unfortunately I don't have any pics of the girls games. These are great though. Thanks Shaun. Now to get those pics from gmail to thiis blog page. There are definitely times when I wish I was a techie!

This is Alex Rushton from Oxford  making a throw while falling to the base








 Luke Jackson gets a hit in Springhill's game against Pugwash









Tom Brander from Pugwash hits in a game against Springhill


Tiarnan Whalen at bat for the Oxford team

It was quite a day. Next week Regionals will be completed, and that will be another busy day for those students, coaches, and parents/grandparents, and other supporters of student athletics. Congratulations to all those students who braved the day and did such a great job. You are all winners.

Lest you think that I do nothing but run the roads and have fun, I also have fun at home. Today I was not a sparkling personality, so I lounged and did a bit of baking.



Don't overmix  the dough. It has taken me years to get this right. Once you get it though, these are so very light and delicious

I like to use parchment paper on my baking sheets for both biscuits and cookies. For my oven at 400degreesF, it takes 12 minutes to turn out the perfectly baked biscuit.

That is the finished product. They are tasty!
I also made bread today. This gives me the entire weekend to do other things. While I was getting ingredients from the baking cupboard, I opened the dried cranberry bag in error. The smell was to appealing, that I decided to add some to my whole wheat bread. My hsband says it was a GOOD choice. If you decide to do this, keep in mind that the dried cranberries puff up and become much larger than their starting size.
Omer has gone off to bed and I guess that is my next stop as well. The weather person suggests that we might have snowflurries tomorrow. Brrr. I hope not.
Wishing everyone a bundle of blessings
Lynn




              

Comments

  1. Mmmm, mmmm, mmmmmm - don't those biscuits look tasty! Wow! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts