Christmas is coming, and there is sewing in the air

 We got our booster vaccine yesterday to keep COVID at bay, and today I am experiencing some small reaction. It feels as if I am in the startup phase of a flu, but I know it will be gone tomorrow. My husband had no reaction at all, and that is the way of the human body, we are all different. Christmas is just around the corner, and like most folks we are getting ready in small stages. After learning there appears to be a shortage of  turkeys, we secured ours (frozen this year) so our family will have the traditional fare on Boxing Day. It necessitated going to three different grocery stores in the area to find one. 

Our Christmas tree is up and decorated. It's a small one, just perfect for this time and place. When I was younger ,a huge tree filling every nook and cranny of the allotted space in the living room was the way we rolled, but now I find that I get as much pleasure from our small tree, and I even have a little energy left at day's end to enjoy it.  It's not easy to see the ornaments with the lights shining.


I'm still working at the Fort Worth Fabric Studio's Homemade Christmas mystery. This week we will make gingerbread men, three of them. I hope to make them tomorrow, keeping my fingers crossed. 
Yesterday I cut 176 triangles for our Cumberland Quilt Guild BOM. The finished blocks will be hourglass, and they will form the border for the centre medallion. The group calls this one Midnight Blooms, and it is a free pattern from All People Sew. 
Bonnie Hunter's Quiltville yearly mystery, Rhodendron Trail, released the fourth clue today, and what do you know? more hourglass blocks, this time in garnet and neutrals. Maybe I will get to those by Monday. Where do the days go? Bonnie is generous providing quilters with this free pattern on a yearly basis. There are usually lots of small pieces, but the end result will be a winner.
There will be new blog hops beginning in January. 


First up is hosted by Joan at Moosestash Quilting. It's called "Polar Bear Plunge", and I'm looking forward to participating. . 


Then February we will have Carla from Creatin' in the Sticks hosting "Tickled Pink". That one should be lots of fun too. Plan to visit each of the bloggers on their special day to see what they have to share with us. Come see me too, as I am going to participate..I love to see what other quilters are making , and what they find for inspiration.
Both of my irons died within a week of each other, but today I found one on sale at Canadian Tire. The claim from Black and Decker is that the ceramic plate on the base will allow the plate underneath to heat up and prevent any fabrics from burning. It's a new concept for me, but we will give it a try. The iron was reduced to $25.00 taxes in. In the interim, I have been using my small Sunbeam travel iron and it gets the job done in a reasonable way. 
Last, but not least is all the fun I am having painting with Jesse Robertson .She does weekend painting tutorials. Jesse lives in Cape Breton , another beautiful spot in Nova Scotia, and she makes the painting journey so much fun. You can find her website. Type Jesse Robertson, Keep it Colourful in the address bar and you can see all of her tutorials. I haven't painted anything except the bathroom in over 20 years, but I dug out my old acrylic paints from the tole painting days, and got my brushes moving. I didn't have any canvases, but I do have a pad for mixed medium work. That and my old tole paints carried me off to a new place. Here are the two paintings I accomplished on the weekend.

The Grinch Gnome and his dog Max


Candyland
I guess that's it for tonight. Take care of yourself, and lend a hand to someone when you can

Lynn



              

Comments

Popular Posts