Saturday, the day of and the morning after.

Like all Nova Scotians, we woke up with a fresh supply of the white stuff. The snow was extremely fine before noon, but I have noticed the flakes getting larger, and the wind gusting a bit harder. On Facebook I read comments about this being the worst storm in recent memory. I can't comment on that, but it is one of the biggies I think   There will be opportunity for all who wish, to have their chance to make snow angels. Send me your pictures and we will post the for posterity. That reminds me that I will need to post my email address in the profile area if I want to get mail. That will happen before the end of my today post.
Well yesterday was the first full sewing day for our Thimbleberries group. It was fun. I am fairly easily distracted, and always ready to laugh, but even with those characteristics I managed to get a good start on my first project. I ran into a small batting hiccup, but was bailed out once again by Martha. This is the QAYG technique where the entire back and backing are prepared, then the blocks or block rows sewn on. I found I needed some help from Martha to get started, and also another pair of hands to get the fabrics straight on the tabletop. I look on this project as a learning opp, so there will be a number of imperfections. My camera battery winked out on me just as I wanted to take pics of the club members yesterday. Well next month I will go better prepared.Today I took a few views of the project to post here. This pattern is from Naive and Country QuiltsVol2 Number 1 2002. The designer is Susan Smith, and was inspired by an American antique quilt. It's finished size is  46in. x 57in. The pinwheel block is 6 in. and the 4 patch is 3 in. In addition to traditional piecing, there is a small amount of simple applique in two of the borders. They have titled it "Lucy Charlotte's Cot Quilt".
When you start the attachments, the first step is to make sure the centre of the backing and batting are determined and marked. I used a pencil and drew  line down the centre mark of the batting . That line was my starting line for attachment of my first row of blocks. subsequent additions are made left and right alternately. The first photo shows the first ow(which was a sashing row of 4patch blocks with spacers. Next the adjoining row on the right was added. The third addition was the row of pinwheel blocks left of the original sashing row. This cot quilt has five sashing rows, and four rows of pinwheel blocks. The third picture gives a view showing a small bit of the batting and backing
This next pic was taken by me of the magazines photo of the cot quilt.


 Over the next few weeks I hope to finish quilting the rows to the backing/batting combo, and also hope to make a start at the simple appliqued flowers. Check back for further developments.
While I was doing this yesterday, my friend Marilyn was creating another quilt top, one of her own design. she took a number of her small pieces of kids/baby prints and made a four patch top with sashings. I need to get a photo of this one to show you too.I think she told me that this one was 40 something by 50. Now that is a generous sized quilt for a little one. You know every baby should have a quilt. I wonder if we quilters could manage that?
Today I finished a couple more A blocks for Easy Street http://quiltville.blogspot.ca/  I think I have six more to do before I start to assemble the top. That will be fun.
I am wearing my thinking cap a lot these days. Martha  ( http://thequiltery.com) is hosting a paper bag challenge. For five dollars,you buy a bag with a  half metre of fabric pieces. Then you create and return to the shop by April 30th. I really want to try to get something from my head to fabric for this adventure.


The wind is still blowing, and now it seems like a good time to have a snack and a bit of basketball on tv. Hope everyone is warm and safe today
Lynn

Comments

Popular Posts